Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Looking Ahead, Part 2.: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The other big news for my 2015 in comics, which broke in mid October, is that I am drawing three issues of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10" for Dark Horse Comics!

I was introduced to the Buffyverse in college, as the series was coming to a close, and then watched Angel religiously until its heartbreaking finale. So needless to say, I knew my way around the characters, at least as the TV series left them.

Some of the headshots I submitted before being hired:






The timing was a bit tough, between the deadline to finish coloring Ares & Aphrodite, and the fact that my first issue would be due during a month when I was traveling four days out of every week (three conventions, a wedding, and a marathon!). But I made it happen, because, hello? Drawing Spike! 

Oh, yeah. 

My first issue, Season 10 #11, hits stands January 21. Christos Gage and Nicholas Brendon wrote the fantastic script, Dan Jackson made my line art even better with colors, and we have three variant covers by veteran Buffy artists Rebekah Isaacs, Georges Jeanty, and Steve Morris. Issues #12 and #13 follow after! 

A sneak peek at my inks from Issue #12. 




1 comment:

  1. I just read your three BTVS Season 10 issues in a trade paperback. It is important to me that the drawing of characters based on real people (in this case the actors) look like those people. Ms. Levens, your work made me very happy indeed (I also think you did beautiful work with Buffy's short hair). I was more satisfied with your artwork than for any artist's going back to the original Buffy comics that came out during the original TV run. I don't know if you did more on BTVS for Dark Horse after 2015, but I look forward to checking out your other projects. Michael, NJ

    ReplyDelete